A couple of weeks ago we happened to be at Joann's when the red-tag fabric was marked down an additional 50% off. As we pawed through autumn remnants and Halloween leftovers, we found two bolts of pink fabric that, in the middle of a very gray January, seemed so rosy and cheerful we decided to take them home. Then when we ended up snowed in this Wednesday, sewing seemed like a cozy way to spend the day and we set to work turning the fabric into two little dresses. Today the girls wore the results to church for the first time.
A few things I love about these dresses:
1. The colors. Amber's looks like strawberry ice cream, Robyn's is reminiscent of a bright fruity sherbet, and both of them combined with the white accents remind me of little ice cream sundaes.
2. Princess lines. Although I have loved princess lines since my mom made my junior prom dress, this was my first time sewing them. I used Simplicity pattern 2683, replacing the gathered belt with white ribbon, doing buttons and plackets instead of zippers, and adding the extra lace trim to the bottom.
3. The bodice details. The gathered top and little bit of lace peaking over the edge of a square neckline were just really fun to play with!
4. The cost. We used lace leftover from Amber's Halloween costume, ribbon from the Offray outlet in Maryland, buttons I had lying around, a single 43-cent remnant for the lining, and then the red tag fabric. All together, the dresses cost less than 4 dollars a piece.
5. How much the girls love them. Probably just because they are pink, but both girls started asking if they could get dressed before they even finished breakfast this morning.